The main requirements established for technical support are: high reliability, redundancy, accuracy of parameters, continuous systems monitoring, recording of operational information, data integrity and high information security. High quality technical support is based on the respective maintenance system and the competencies of the technical personnel.
According to their operating principles all aviation systems can be divided into the so-called conventional, that are still in use, and CNS/ATM (Communication, Navigation, Surveillance and Air Traffic Management) technology based (the ICAO term is FANS – Future Air Navigation Services) systems – their extensive implementation has been recently initiated. The main difference between the systems is that CNS/ATM Systems are based on data exchange networks and satellites and therefore, their potential is huge. Whereas the conventional equipment cannot cope with the forecasted traffic growth nor ensure the required capacity and accuracy of the air traffic management system.
Two major programmes are established for developing and implementing new technologies: SESAR in Europe and NexGen in the USA. The European Commission regulation 552/2004 shall be followed for ensuring the systems’s interoperability. The implementation of several technologies in Europe is regulated by Implementing Rules ensuring simultaneous and harmonised activities in the European region.
High quality technical support is based on the respective maintenance system and the competencies of the technical personnel. CNS/ATM Department of EANS is responsible for the operability of CNS/ATM - communication, navigation and surveillance - systems in accordance with the main requirements.
ATC TECHNOLOGY CENTRE
The data from all technical facilities are assembled in the air traffic control centre, verified, processed and, finally, forwarded to air traffic controllers.
The most important systems in the centre are:
- VCS – Voice Communication System integrates all incoming and outgoing voice channels, radio and emergency lines and provides user-friendly handling for controllers;
- FDPS – Flight Data Processing System - is used for processing all the data regarding the traffic situation in the airspace;
- SDPS – Surveillance Data Processing System is used for surveillance data processing and creating the real situational picture of the airspace;
- ODS – Operational Display System. Safety Nets and Flight Monitoring software are the aids the implementation of which help to reduce the number of potential conflicts between aircraft;
- NM (Network Manager) Traffic Flow planning tools;
- Common Clock System;
- Recording and Replay Systems.
Supporting systems are technical solutions used in supporting services that facilitate the provision of air navigation services:
- additional information system for ATCOs;
- flight plan preparation;
- extraction of information about routes and meteorological conditions;
- electronic aeronautical information preparation, exchange and dissemination;
- system testing environment.
CNS/ATM Department is also responsible for developing or setting-up EANS business supporting software environments and tools:
- staffing planner tool;
- post-flight data processing, billing system;
- staff training;
- development process, projects and change management;
- report handling;
- CNS assets and technical files handling.